This workshop is designed for staff and volunteers of newcomer serving organizations who are not trained interpreters, but are sometimes called on to interpret. Staff who book / use interpreters or managers of settlement programs are also welcome to attend.
The workshop will take place between 9:30 am - 2:30 pm and will include breaks.
Some of the topics we will discuss include:
- What happens when I am called upon to interpret as part of my current job duties?
- What is the role of a trained professional interpreter and how is that different from being a language assistant/language support?
- How do I know when the interpretation is beyond my current skills and abilities as a language assistant/language support?
- and many other important issues!
Areas we will cover include:
- Standards of Practice: Ethical Principles & Performance Expectations
- Accuracy and Fidelity
- Introductions at an Interpreting Assignment: Practicing the Introduction
- Sight Translation
- Remote Interpretation
Expectations of participants:
- Have access to a computer / laptop or other devices with a webcam & microphone, as well as an internet connection.
- Have access to a quiet space with no children present (note that some of the videos used in the workshop contain graphic language and subject matter not appropriate for children)
- Participate in the full interactive workshop
Facilitator: Jane Langes
Jane currently facilitates the WRHA Language Access Interpreter Training, the Brandon Community Language Centre Community Interpreter Training as well as supporting modules (Legal and Educational) for continued learning. Jane also facilitates the Violence Against Women (VAW) Interpreter Training Program through the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Centre in Toronto, Ontario.
- This is an online event. You will need to have access to a computer/ laptop or other devices with a webcam & microphone, as well as an internet connection.
- Accessibility accommodations are available on advance request. If you have any questions, concerns or inquiries, please send us an email at email@example.com or call 204-272-0872.