Registration for the next cohort will be open from January 19th, 2021 until February 3, 2021.
The Accessibility for Manitobans Act became law in Manitoba in December 2013. It establishes a process to work to remove barriers affecting persons with disabilities and many other citizens.
The government has worked with public and private sector organizations to develop accessibility standards. One of the accessibility standards is about Customer Service, which includes all types of programs and services that can be accessed by the public, including settlement services. Other standards are being developed, and we will share more information as it is available.
This course covers foundational knowledge for all staff and volunteers of settlement service providers to understand the Customer Service Standard.
It was developed by the Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations (MANSO) in partnership with Manitoba Possible (formerly Society for Manitobans with Disabilities) and English Online. The materials we use in the course were developed by Manitoba Possible and English Online built the course on their learning platform.
- This course should take 45-90 minutes to complete and costs $6/person.
- Participants who complete the course will receive a certificate from Manitoba Possible
- The course has some text and some video components, so participants will need a computer with speakers or headphones.
You will have a month to complete the course. If you do not get to finish the course within one month, we will provide you with one more course session to finish, to ensure you receive the certificate. We cannot issue any refunds for this course.
This course is a starting point in making our programs more accessible. We encourage everyone to continue to learn more about the topics covered in the course by exploring the Additional Resources section.
- Become familiar with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act
- Understand the requirements of the Customer Service Standard
- Understand The Duty to Accommodate and the Human Rights Code
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- interact and communicate with persons with disabilities facing barriers;
- recognize and respect the various supports that people with disabilities may use such as assistive devices, support person or service animal;
- provide support to a person with a disability who is having difficulty accessing a product or service.
After completion, you will receive your certificate from the Manitoba Possible within 4-6 weeks.
Other options for Accessible Customers Service Standards training can be found here:
- Disabilities Issues Office: https://mansomanitoba.ca/resources/accessibility-for-manitobans-everyone-benefits-online-training/
- Manitoba Possible: https://www.manitobapossible.ca/community-education-training