About Immigrant Centre
Immigrant Centre is one of Manitoba's largest Immigrant Settlement Service agencies, providing programs that encompass the newcomer experience from arrival and immediate needs, to long-term settlement and integration. The Immigrant Centre services include needs assessment and referral, settlement, employment, English conversation circles, nutrition classes, verification of translation, letters of invitation to visit, document notarization, interpretation and translation services, driver's written/knowledge test lessons, citizenship test training, and the Neighborhood Immigrant Settlement Worker (NISW) Coordinator/Zone Coordinator, who coordinates NISWs throughout Winnipeg, as well as settlement zones. Our staff works together to support newcomers of any immigration category, including Permanent Residents, Refugees, Refugee Claimants, Temporary Foreign Workers, Naturalized Citizens, and International Students to connect, integrate, and fully participate in Canadian society.
Products & Services
- Settlement Services: Information and orientation through one-on-one appointments and group presentations, and referrals to agencies and programs in the client’s community. Topics include:
- First steps as a newcomer;
- Information, orientation and referrals on health, housing, transportation, banking, weather, and law;
- Information and orientation for filling out forms, including SIN, Manitoba Health Card, tax credits and benefits, and provincial social assistance;
- Information about immigration applications including family sponsorship, Canadian citizenship, and Permanent Resident cards.
- Employment Services: We help newcomers in their job search process; we specialize in assisting newcomers with CLB 4 and under. Our services include one-on-one appointments and resume assistance, plus short workshops or one-on-one appointments to learn about job search, interview preparation, and Canadian workplace culture.
- Access English Centre: We offer weekly English conversation classes to newcomer English learners of all levels, with no restrictions on immigration status.
- Language Bank: We provide document services including:
- Translation verifications.
- Notarization of documents, and witness of signature.
- Interpreter services and translation services (available only to approved agencies)
- Letters of Invitation to Visit
- Letters of confirmation of physical address for Manitoba Health Cards
- Volunteer Services: We provide newcomers and the general community with opportunities to help newcomers and the Immigrant Centre through various volunteer positions at our centre.
- Nutrition Services: We offer free cooking and nutrition programs for all newcomers of all English levels.
- Other classes and workshops: We also offer:
- Canadian citizenship classes for permanent residents applying for Canadian citizenship;
- One-on-one English tutoring sessions for newcomer adult English learners;
- Driver’s education classes to prepare for the knowledge (written) driver’s license test.
All our classes are facilitated by volunteers.
- Permanent residents
- Temporary residents:
- International Students
- Temporary Foreign Workers
- Naturalized Canadian Citizens
- Canadian-born citizens who will sponsor a family member for immigration
- Refugee Claimants
|100 Adelaide St.|